6.18.2007

Marché Sandaga

This weeked I went with Marie and her friend Amandine to buy some wax cloth, bright patterned fabric, to have some clothes made from (no, I'm not going to sport a bou bou).



Walking around this area people approach you selling phone credit, clothes, perfume, hangars, toys, CDs, pots and pans, jewellery... one very nice man tried to convince me that I truly had to buy the iron he was carrying around.

These photos do not do justice to the chaos of hustlers on the street. One little street urchin ran up to me and hugged me and basically climbed me like a tree to ask for some money. Marie said the same little girl slapped her when she refused to give her some change!


Walking down this street a guy walked up and started talking to me, he wanted me to buy his CDs but I told him I spent all my money. Which is true, there are beautiful things here! He continued walking with us, asking me questions about home, then just as we parted he said "I want to see your eyes" (practicing his sparse English) and I heard, "I want to see your ass". I got so mad at him - I yelled at him in French that that was no way to talk to a woman. Poor guy you should have seen the look on his face, he had no idea what was wrong, he said "But but thats a nice thing to say to a girl here, to see your eyes." I burst out lauging and explained to him what I though he said. Pronunciation is everything. God knows what I've said to some people with my French...

No comments: